Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Puff Pastry

Last week I asked Chris to pick up frozen puff pastry for me when he was at the grocery store.  He said that was an odd request which I thought was a strange comment but didn't question it.  When he came home I was unpacking the groceries to find the following


I immediately starting cracking up and explained what I was actually looking for. 

My original plan was to make some fruit danishes however I never got around to making them before we ate all of the fruit.  I started experimenting with a few things last week using the puff pastry.

The first experiment used the Crab, Avocado and Mango Salad from my California Inspired Appetizer post.  I simply cut a square of puff pastry and place a spoonful of the salad in the middle and then folded the pasty in a triangle. Sealed the edges and brushed the top of the pastry with an egg wash.  I cooked the pastry at 375 degrees until the pastry was slightly browned on top, approximately 20 minutes.  I drizzled the Citrus Vinaigrette on the plate so that I could "dip" each bite, it was surprisingly delightful!


I forgot to photograph the second experiment, which turned out to be a more of a roll up.  I took a square of puff pastry and spread some of my Apricot and Pluot Jam, placed 2 slices of Speck and crumbled some goat cheese.  I then rolled up the pastry into a log.  I brushed the outside with an egg wash and baked again on 375 degrees.  This tasted good but didn't keep the formation of the log as much as I had hoped. 

My next goal is to figure out how to make the Haitian Pâté that my sister's mother-in-law makes, it's absolutely divine.  Her mother-in-law makes her own pastry dough which is delicious but I was going to cheat and use puff pastry. The filling is this delicious spicy ground beef filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...