Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Apricot and Pluot Jam

This was a post from last night that I typed up but never hit publish. Oops!

It should be interesting to see how this turns out.  My original plan was to make peach jam until I realized that I didn't have enough peaches left, so I moved on to apricot jam.  I found a recipe to make freezer jam which seemed right up my alley, not too complex and not a big time commitment.  I started by cutting my fruit and heating it with a little lemon juice per the recipe.  Then I moved on to the mixing of the pectin. This particular recipe required you to boil water and then add it to a blender or food processor so that you could slowly add the pectin until it dissolves.  This step seemed easy enough.  Well this smarty pants read the recipe wrong and added 4 tablespoons of pectin as opposed to 4 teaspoons. The mixture in my food processor resembled taffy.  Wouldn't you know that I only purchased one package of pectin so I was in a bit of a predicament.  In an effort to not lose all of my apricots I got in the car and went to Jewel to get another container.  The approximate time was 9:30 p.m., so I was slightly irritated by this. Thankfully I live only a few blocks from the grocery store so round trip it only took me about 10 minutes.  The issue now was my original recipe was foiled because the new Pectin had a slightly different recipe.  So figuring I really had nothing to lose at this point, I added some Pluot and a little apple juice, the new pectin and let it boil.  The jars are cooling so that I can put some in the freezer and one or two in the fridge. We will see how it turns out.  I really need to learn to read more carefully when I am doing things like this.  As I was adding the pectin I thought to myself, "this sure seems like a lot of this for such a small amount of water" which probably would have been the point I should have glanced back at the recipe.  Oh well, live and learn.

I'm happy to report that I tried the jam this evening and its not bad.  It could have probably used a tad bit more sugar but considering it was my first time making this I would give myself 3 asparagus spears as a rating.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...