Thursday, September 8, 2011

Quick Three Cheese Lasagna

I got home from work tonight and had no idea what I was going to make for dinner.  In fact other than the veggie and fruit delivery we just received, I wasn't really sure what we even had in the house.  So the search through the cabinets and fridge began.  Much to my surprise I had a new container of Ricotta that I needed to use and I also found some no boil lasagna noodles.  This made my decision very easy, we were having lasagna.  As I started getting out the other ingredients I did realize there were a few items I was lacking (i.e. fresh basil, shredded or fresh mozzarella) but I figured I would just improvise.

Menu
Three Cheese Lasagna
Sliced Heirloom Tomatoes and Baguette with Olive Oil
Caesar Salad

To make the Caesar Salad, I used the fresh lettuce we just received in our bushel tonight.  I added some Caesar croutons, some grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, fresh cracked pepper and for the dressing I used Brianna's Asiago Caesar which is quite tasty.

My sister picked up a fresh baguette for me so I thinly sliced some pieces and plated them on one side of my platter. On the other side I placed sliced heirloom tomato also from today's delivery.  Sprinkled the tomato with a little chopped fresh parsley and cracked pepper.  In the middle of the platter I poured a little Las Brisas Olive Oil which I then sprinkled with a little parmigiano reggiano and cracked pepper for dipping.

Three Cheese Lasagna
In mixing bowl I added 15 oz of Ricotta cheese, 1 egg,  a pinch of kosher salt and some fresh cracked pepper, a bit of chopped fresh parsley and 2 tablespoons of homemade basil pesto.  The pesto was my replacement for the fact that I didn't have any fresh basil.  I also chopped up in small chunks two pieces of mozzarella string cheese which was clearly my replacement for the fact I didn't have any fresh or shredded mozzarella.  I also grated in some fresh parmigiano reggiano into the bowl and mixed everything together.

In a 9x9 pan, add a thin layer of pasta sauce.  I used Cucina Antica Garlic Marinara.  I really like this sauce because there is no sugar added and only 36 calories in a 1/2 cup.  Layer your no boil noodles.  I overlap 3 and then break a 4th in half and place it across the top to completely layer the bottom.  Add your first layer of the ricotta mixture and spread across the noodles.  Add some more pasta sauce across the ricotta layer and add another layer of noodles.  Spread second layer of ricotta mixture and some more pasta sauce.  Add the third and final layer of lasagna noodles.  Cover with pasta sauce, sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, mozzarella (I chopped another piece of string cheese for the top) and grate some more fresh parmigiano reggiano on the top.

Bake in a preheated oven on 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Just out of the oven



This meal was rated 3.5 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...