Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cinnamon Pear Filled Pancakes

We have a ton of apples and pears left from our last fruit delivery so I was trying to think of what I could do with them.  Last night I came across a recipe for Spiced Apple Filled Pancakes on the Williams Sonoma website. Chris said he would run to the grocery store for the few items we didn't have which included heavy cream, buttermilk and ground ginger.  In addition I added Gruyere and Black Forest Ham to the grocery list.  Well he went to the grocery store and came home with the Gruyere, Black Forest Ham and Bacon.  He mentioned that they didn't have buttermilk when he got home but I figured we could always run out in the morning to get it. So this morning I started getting everything out to make the pancakes and realized we didn't have the ground ginger or heavy cream either, so I scratched the Spiced Apple Filled Pancakes and decided to do my own thing.

Ingredients
2 Bosc pears, peeled, cored and diced
Unsalted Butter
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a bowl combine the diced pears and the lemon juice, be sure to try and coat all of the pears with the juice. In a pan, heat up approximately 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and add the diced pears.  Cook on a medium low heat and stir regularly.  Add the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Cook the pears until they are soft.  Remove from heat.

Since we didn't have all of the ingredients to make the pancake batter from scratch I used Stonewall Kitchen Farmhouse Pancake & Waffle Mix.  I just followed the instructions on the side of the can for making the pancakes.

To make the filled pancakes you need a special pan, I used the Ebelskiver Filled Pancake Pan from Williams-Sonoma.  Coat each of the little compartments with some melted butter.  Add 1 tablespoon of pancake top, add your filling (approximately 1/2 tablespoon) and then another tablespoon of pancake batter on top.  Let the pancake bubble up.  I used a wood skewer to turn them.  It allowed me to go around the side of the pancake to loosen it if need be and then I was able to flip it over without making a mess out of them. The recipe for the Spiced Apple Filled Pancakes suggests that you need to let the bottom layer of pancake cook before adding the filling and the top layer of batter, however I didn't find that to be true.

I sprinkled the top of the pancakes with powdered sugar and ground cinnamon.

You will have to excuse the picture. I think my foodographer was more concerned about eating that he was about foodographing.


This meal was rated 4 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...