Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Test Kitchen

Tonight I did a little experimenting with a recipe. I had a yellow zucchini and some petit Yukon gold potatoes that I needed to use up.  In the past I have made a Potato Pancake recipe that has always turned out quite well, so this was my inspiration for the dish.  When I was trying to figure out what exactly I was going to make I knew I wanted to incorporate both the zucchini and the potato and wanted the dish to be on a smaller scale.  As a result I ended up making mini potato-zucchini pancakes.  The taste was definitely good but I think I will continue to do some work on how to cook them so that they stay together better.

Menu
Mini Potato-Zucchini Pancakes
Roasted Carrots
Mickleberry Ham

Mini Potato-Zucchini Pancakes
I grated 1 yellow zucchini and 4 petit Yukon gold potatoes. This resulted in about 2 cups of zucchini and 1 1/4 cups of potato.  I squeezed the grated zucchini and potato to get some of the water out.  Then mixed them together and seasoned them with salt and about 1 tablespoon of Montreal Steak Seasoning. I also added about 1 tablespoon of shredded and then chopped garlic scape.  I covered my cookie sheet with a silicon baking mat and then I stuffed a round cookie cutter with a handful of the zucchini/potato mixture. I flattened it pretty well.  I repeated this until I had 6 pancakes.  I drizzled the top of each pancake with a little olive oil and then cooked them on 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. I then put them under the broiler for a minute or two to try and get a bit of a crust on the top.   Unfortunately when plating them I had to pretty much re-create the shape as they were not crisp enough to stay together.  They may not have been too pretty but they had a really good taste.

In addition to my experiment I made the Barefoot Contessa Roasted Carrots recipe for the first time. They were quite good. I opted for the minced dill rather than the parsley, I would highly recommend it.

As far as the ham goes you really can’t get any easier of a meal. I heated it on 325 degrees for about 25 minutes. Just enough to get it heated through since it’s already cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...