Monday, July 11, 2011

Chicken Fajitas

Yesterday we had a nice afternoon at the zoo with S. This was her first time actually being awake for a zoo visit. She seemed to really enjoy the animals especially at the children’s zoo; she thought the sheep were a hoot. This may have had something to do with me reciting Sandra Boynton’s “Moo, Baa, La La La!” as we were walking pass all of the animals. On our way home we decided it would be a nice night for grilling and mojitos; so we stopped at the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for fajitas and that is when our pleasant day turned somewhat chaotic.  Once we were home I unpacked the groceries, started to prepare our dinner and put S in the high chair to feed her.  Because I was trying to do too many things at once, I accidentally dropped a baby food jar on the granite counter top which caused the jar to break into 9 million little shards of glass. It was EVERYWHERE!  Thankfully, none of the glass got on the baby.  I ended up with cuts all over my hand and with glass in my foot.  While Chris vacuumed and washed the floor in the kitchen and hallway repeatedly, I brought S upstairs for a bath.  Needless to say the clean-up process royally screwed up the timing for dinner, now the food was going to be ready right as Stella needed to be put down for bed.  It also occurred to me that the new desk we attempted to put together on Friday night, which we later realized was damaged, needed to be carried downstairs, packed up and put in the garage so UPS could pick it up this morning.  As a result of all the commotion I didn’t have very high hopes for dinner last night; however I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out.

Preparing the Chicken
In a zip lock bag add the following:
  • 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup (measured prior to chopping) of cilantro leaves, rough chop
  • the juice of 3 limes
  • freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
  • 1 ½ tablespoon of Fiery Fajita Seasoning (I purchased this at Target; I believe it’s the Archer Farms brand.  You could use any fajita seasoning you have. I had intended on creating my own seasoning but due to the time crunch I used the already mixed seasoning.)
  • a pinch of adobo chile powder  (I do think that the chicken could have used a little kick at the end so you may want to add a bit more if you like a little heat)
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil

Vegetables
  • Red, Orange, Yellow Bell Peppers (1 small/medium of each)
  • Red Onion (1 medium)
  • Poblano Pepper (1 Large)

Slice the peppers and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and a dash of the Fajita Seasoning.

I wrapped the veggies in aluminum foil and cooked them on the grill along with the chicken.
The vegetables and chicken both cooked for approximately 20 minutes at 375 degrees on a charcoal grill.



Garnish Suggestions
Sour cream, shredded lettuce, Chihuahua cheese, guacamole, fresh salsa

Sadly, we never made the mojitos so we will have to partake in those later in the week.  I even picked up some Guava nectar to try a Guava Mojito recipe I found. The mojitos may have to be on tonight’s menu especially if our power doesn’t come back on before I get home from work.

This recipe was rated 4 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...