Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Molasses Glaze

This week is really busy between work and getting ready for vacation.  S and I leave for Florida on Saturday with my mom and sisters and then Chris comes down next Wednesday.  As a result I am trying to use up all of the food in our fridge this week.  Tonight's item to use was acorn squash, I came across this recipe on epicurious.com and thought that this seemed like a great fall dish.

Menu
Sausage-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Molasses Glaze
Spring Green Salad with Radishes and Bosc Pears

The recipe for the squash serves 8 so I actually halved everything so we didn't have a crazy amount of leftovers.  We had what I would consider to be one medium squash that we were able to get 4 slices out of. I also ended up using vegetable broth instead of beef broth because it was what I had on hand.  Chris really enjoyed this, more so than I thought he would. I also enjoyed it. This is the original recipe below-

Ingredients
4 small acorn squash
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 large green onions, thinly sliced
1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
1/2 cup canned beef broth
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut two 3/4-inch-thick slices from center of each acorn squash for a total of 8 slices (reserve ends of squash for another use). Scoop out seeds and fibers from center slices and discard. Arrange squash rings in single layer in 15x10x2-inch baking dish.

Melt butter in heavy medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and green onions; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; cool. Mix in sausage, breadcrumbs, broth, pepper and salt. Mound sausage mixture in center of squash rings, using about 1/3 cup for each. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Brush sausage and squash with half of molasses. Bake 15 minutes. Brush with remaining molasses and bake until squash are tender and sausage is cooked through, about 25 minutes.

This meal was rated 4.5 asparagus spears
Tonight as I was typing this post I was watching Parenthood. I absolutely LOVE that show; I don't know what it is about the Bravermans but I feel like they are family. (As you can see I tend to really get into some of the shows that I watch.) I love the dynamics between all of the siblings.  I'm really looking forward to my vacation next week with my mom, S and sisters.  Before I had S we also went down to Florida for a "girls trip" so this is our trip before Becky has her baby in December. It should be a good time! Hopefully I will have the opportunity to do some cooking while we are down there and I will try to post some new recipes.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious!! Can't wait to try it. I'm in a squashy mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it yesterday! DELICIOUS!! I absolutely agree with the 4 1/2 asparagus spears!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it. It was definitely a good recipe find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just shared this recipe with my readers, I hope that they love it as much as we do :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...