Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oktoberfest Update II

The Sauerbraten...well I followed Nanny's directions exactly, I made the marinade, flipped the roast every day for four days and then cooked it according to the recipe.  The only thing I changed was I served the meat with egg noodles rather than mashed potatoes.  The flavor of the dish was great, but the meat was really tough and up until yesterday I couldn't figure out why.  Then after talking with my mom I discovered the issue.. I didn't cut the roast against the grain.  I don't know how I managed to do this but I did.  So if you make this recipe, make sure you properly cut the roast.  I was so dissapointed Friday night even though the flavor was good I had such high hopes because I had put 4 days into this meal and it didn't turn out as planned.  Below are some instructions I found on how to cut a Beef rump roast so next time around I don't forget; based on these directions I probably also failed because I cut the slices too thick.
  1. Place the beef rump roast on the cutting board so the grain of the meat runs horizontally in front of you.
  2. Insert the carving fork into the top of the beef rump roast at approximately the center of the roast.
  3. Begin cutting slices of roast cutting across the grain of the meat. Make the slices as thin as you can, with 1/4 inch being an optimal thickness. Rump roasts will taste the most tender when the slices are very thin.
  4. Continue slicing the roast in this fashion until you reach the point where the carving fork is. Remove the carving fork, reposition it at the end of the roast and continue slicing the roast.
  5. Arrange the thin slices on a serving platter. Top the slices with gravy to serve.


Chris rated this meal on two separate categories (1) Flavor (2) Overall.  He rated it 3.5 asparagus spears for flavor but due to the texture of the meat he brought the overall rating down to 2.5 asparagus spears.  He then told me he didn't want to rate my meals anymore because it makes him uncomfortable.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...