Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Chicken Vesuvio

As I mentioned yesterday things have been really crazy around here lately but I actually did manage to make dinner on Wednesday night.  Last week I was digging through my kitchen cabinet and saw my electric frying pan; it made me think of my mom making Chicken Vesuivo in her avocado green electric frying pan when we were kids.  I know this was a very random memory!  At any rate, I decided to ask my mom if she had the recipe she used to make; as you can see in the photo below this is an oldie but a goodie. I was actually able to find the date on the article on the back of the recipe, it was published in the April 29, 1984 issue of the Chicago Tribune. 
Much to my surprise I was able to find the same Chicken Vesuvio recipe on-line, it appears the Tribune published it again more recently.

Ingredients
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
3/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each: dried leaf thyme, freshly ground pepper
Pinch each: dried rosemary, rubbed sage
1 broiler/fryer chicken, about 3 pounds, cut up
1/2 cup olive oil
3 baking potatoes, cut into lengthwise wedges
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup dry white wine

Directions
Mix flour, basil, oregano, salt, thyme, pepper, rosemary and sage in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture; shake off excess.

Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove with tongs to paper towels.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Add the potato wedges to skillet. Fry, turning occasionally, until light brown on all sides; remove to paper towels.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from skillet. Return the chicken and potatoes into skillet. Sprinkle with the parsley and garlic; pour wine over all. Cover; bake10 minutes. Uncover; bake until potatoes are fork-tender and thigh juices run clear, 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with the pan juices.




This meal was rated 3.5 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...