Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pepper Steak

I had a bunch of bell peppers that I needed to use up this week. I figured this would be the perfect recipe to use them in. My mom use to make this all of the time when we were kids.  I had all of the veggies and everything prepared; my mom was kind enough to get this going for us since I was at work late this week.  This is great over your favorite brown or white rice served with a side salad.

Ingredients
3/4 lb of sirloin tip steak, cut into strips
1 large green pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large red pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 large Spanish onion, diced into large pieces
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 beef boullion cube
1 cup of water
14 oz can of diced tomatoes
Approximately 1 tablespoon of Cornstarch

Directions
In a Dutch oven, brown the meat and onion.  Combine the bouillon cube with a cup of hot water to create broth. Add the broth, soy sauce (I use low sodium) and pepper slices to the meat and onion.  Simmer on low for about 20 - 30 minutes.  In a bowl combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with some water to make a paste.  Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and mix in well. The purpose of this is to thicken the sauce/gravy.  Once the sauce has thickened up you will add the can of tomato included the juice.  This will thin it back out slightly.  Cook for another 15 minutes or so on low.

Serve over rice.


This meal was rated 3.5 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...