Monday, January 16, 2012

Minestrone Soup

What better to do on a snowy winter day than make some Minestrone soup?  This recipe is super easy and is definitely worth the wait.


32oz vegetable broth
11/4 cups each of celery, carrot, red onion (diced)
15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 1/4 cups water mixed with 2 extra large vegetable bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon fresh sage (I used some that I froze from our CSA)
Pinch of kosher salt
A couple turns of ground pepper
28 oz can of diced tomato
2 bay leaves

Combine all of the ingredients above in a crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours if you want the veggies to be on the softer side. Cook on high for four hours if you want your veggies to have a bit of a crunch to them. 

30-40 minutes before you are ready to eat add the following:
2 cups fresh spinach
1 1/4 cups diced zucchini and summer squash (I used some that I froze earlier from our CSA)
1 1/2 cups of tri-color pasta shells 

Garnish with some grated parmesan. 



While this was an original recipe, I'm happy to report that I found my Soup & Stew Cookbook. Hopefully I will be able to share a few more soup recipes before National Soup Month comes to an end. For more soup recipes see my post National Soup Month.

This meal was rated 4 asparagus spears

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...